Supporting Diversity in the Workplace
SUPPORTING DIVERSITY IN THE WORKPLACE: DEVELOPING A RESPECTFUL WORKPLACE
In today's world, it is important to develop effective workplaces that support diversity and use inclusion strategies. This is especially relevant in a strongly diverse culture that exists in many parts of the word as it does in Canada.
A workplace that supports diversity is one that is effective, fair, inclusive, respectful and culturally competent. In the workplace setting, respect must be demonstrated by policy, practices, and the actions of managers and employees.
Experts agree that diversity strategies that focus on cooperation, collaboration and inclusion can have a tremendous impact on the overall ability of a company to compete effectively in the marketplace. And, individual work groups and/or departments are better able to achieve business goals by working more effectively with others who may be different than them. It is recognized that difficulties with diversity and respect in the workplace have a strong negative impact on those directly affected, as well as the organization as a whole.
In keeping with the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms and the Ontario Human Rights Code, diversity is a basic and important characteristic of Canadian society. All managers, employees and clients share unique, diverse characteristics, to be valued and respected.
A truly diverse organization benefits all stakeholders. Benefits include meaningful employment, increased human resources potential, better partnerships, more resources and an enhanced reputation locally, regionally, nationally and internationally.
At the end of this workshop, participants will:
- Understand the importance of a positive diversity practices within overall workplace health and well-being
- Understand the varieties of diversity, including: Racial, Ethnic, Gender, Sexual Orientation, Disability Dimensions
- Strengthen basic skills of interpersonal competency in diversity
- Improve basic skills of cultural competence in the workplace
- Identify their strengths and weaknesses in their responses to Diversity through an assessment tool
- Create a plan for ongoing implementation of the skills of diversity
- Begin the development of a workplace strategy in diversity and inclusion
LENGTH OF PROGRAM
1-2 days, depending on client's learning objectives
WHO SHOULD ATTEND
Executives, managers, teams, and employees. This seminar will be of great benefit to those who manage and supervise large and small teams as well as to employees for their own benefit. This workshop will also be of great benefit to human resource staff who are developing policies and practices in workplace diversity.
We will present information using the most current and proven principles of adult education. Material will be presented in several ways:
- Information to help individuals understand diversity, culture, values development and the importance of a respectful workplace
- Experiential learning to assess personal adaptability
- Practical tools and strategies that individuals and organizations can use to enhance personal and workplace inclusion in diversity practices
- Sharing best practices in developing strategies for diversity and respectful workplaces
Training will be highly participatory with opportunities for self-reflection, dialogue and the development of practical plans for implementation and follow up. The trainer will be available for ongoing consultation.
Diversity in the Workplace: Background Assessing Personal Adaptability Assessment & Feedback using the Cross Cultural Adaptability Inventory: Exploring such aspects as Enhancing Personal Adaptability Self and Culture: Cultural Awareness Developing a Respectful Workplace
Diversity in the Workplace: Background
Assessing Personal Adaptability
Assessment & Feedback using the Cross Cultural Adaptability Inventory: Exploring such aspects as
Enhancing Personal Adaptability
Self and Culture: Cultural Awareness
Developing a Respectful Workplace