Organizations are calling on their teams – temporary and permanent - to perform smarter and quicker. Yet, in spite of all the hoopla about teams, most fall far short of expectations. Reasons for the shortfall in performance are numerous, as are the solutions. But nothing will make a greater impact to the success of a team than working collaboratively to solve problem, make decisions and plan improvement. This happens mostly in meetings. But most meetings suffer from some type of dysfunction. Typically, they start late, finish late, stray off topic, get hijacked, fail to allocate responsibility effectively and permit inappropriate behaviours.
This intensive workshop will give meeting leaders the skills to bring a divergent group of people together and mold them – during meetings - into a high performance team, capable of making decisions and solving problems quickly and effectively.
At the end of this interactive workshop participants will be able to:
- understand the role of facilitator
- reduce meeting times by at least 50%
- develop effective agendas, including appropriate processes for each item on the agenda
- present ideas clearly and effectively
- use an effective process to make problem solving and decision-making easier
- ensure full participation
- handle a variety of dysfunctional behaviours
- wrap up meetings in a way that will ensure action items are carried out before the next meeting
LENGTH OF PROGRAM
TEAMWORK & MEETINGS
- The role of meetings in high performance organizations.
- The 5 types of meetings.
- The difference between facilitating and chairing a meeting.
- Understanding the difference between process and content.
- The 4 key roles in meetings, what they are, what they do and why they are important.
- The props that will enhance a meeting’s effectiveness
- The 3 golden lessons of successful facilitators.
- A checklist to plan and evaluate all meetings.
- The 4 key agreements that will get your meeting started on the right track.
- How to end a meeting to ensure clarity and action.
DECISION MAKING IN MEETINGS
- Three alternative ways of making decisions: when to use each.
- The value of consensus.
- An 8-step process that will dramatically reduce the time it takes to reach a consensus.
PROBLEM SOLVING MEETINGS
- Why people struggle to solve problems together.
- The importance of a road map.
- The 4 key steps to problem resolution.
- Tools to identify the root cause of problems including Cause and Effect Diagrams and the Pareto principle.
- How to encourage creativity.
- Developing an action plan to make sure that decisions made are followed through.
- The 3 most challenging dysfunctional behaviors.
- What, where, how and when to intervene.
- Using the group to intervene.
- Dealing with negativism.